Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Quick + Clean Improv Dinner Ideas #1


Fair to say it's been a while? Sorry, life happened.

After a quick perusal of the "clean food ideas" tag on Pinterest proved fruitless in finding something I wanted to eat, while also being of minimal effort to prepare, I abandoned ship. Sights were subsequently set on improvisation.
(Improvisation: noun - the 10 minute+ process of opening, closing, reopening and staring into the contents of one's cupboards and fridge in the hope that culinary inspiration will hit them eventually).

In about 20-ish minutes, I had collated and cooked an armful of ingredients, giving life to this lil' beaut: a marriage of quinoa, green lentils, spinach, stir-fried carrot and scallion, and orange segments, with an obligatory side of hummus. It's a polyamorous marriage.

Recently I've really been digging* fruit with savoury meals: strawberries with crispy, garlic peppered-tofu and salad greens; raisins hidden in the folds of red cabbage drizzled with balsamic vinegar; pineapple chunks with stir-fried vegetables and cashews. And now this.

And while you might think it a criminal offence sticking mandarin wedges in something like quinoa, it offers a nice surprise for your tastebuds, which will be expecting the nuttiness of the quinoa and the bite of the vegetables. It's a little injection of excitement without any effort or obscure ingredients.

I would like to thank my brain for making this possible. Ya done good. However, it didn't fare so well when trying to come up with a name for this. 50 points for anyone who can come up with something better than the tentative, and frankly, not very appetising "Quinoa + Orange Thing"

(*Disclaimer: no I do not say things like "digging" in real life, as my South Dublin accent makes it sound too stiff and mom-ish. But I like to think I can get away with it on the Internet).

No comments:

Post a Comment