Monday, May 27, 2013

RECIPE: Sweet Potato and Cinnamon Oatmeal


Sweet potato, cinnamon; two foods reminiscent of autumn, particularly in America. And how could you not conjure up images of grounds littered with a patchwork of brilliantly coloured leaves, pumpkins taking the starring role in your local supermarkets, and of course, the chill in the weather.

 Sweet potatoes and cinnamon fit right into this season, what with their colour (vibrant amber and burnt orange) and their heart-warming tastes. They're comforting to the soul, especially on those chillier days.
So why, oh why, am I gushing about autumn at the end of May?! And even more importantly, why am I offering a fall-esque recipe when the weather is insinuating that its finally ready to dish out some much-needed warmth?

Well, I have somehow managed to develop a cold despite the time of the year and my sufficient intake of vitamin C. I believe Karma is behind this, punishing me for my skepticism of the aul common cold's legitimacy as an illness; I always saw the cold as a nuisance, rather than an illness. However, now I'm rightfully suffering at the hands of Karma, and was in dire need of something warm, comforting, and clean.
I had originally planned to make sweet potato pancakes but upon realising that we had no eggs (I should really check these things, beforehand), I decided to settle with the ol' reliable: oatmeal.

INGREDIENTS:

  • One small-ish (that is a legit measurement) sweet potato.
  • Oats - use as little or as much as you'd like.
  • Cinnamon.
  • Organic vanilla extract.
  • Optional: a dash of almond milk.
DIRECTIONS:
  • Prepare your sweet potato as you would, normally; I put mine in the microwave for 3 minutes, then wrap in tinfoil and put in the oven for 20 mins @ 180 degrees celsius.
  • Peel the skins off the sweet potato (and eat them to sustain you while you prepare the rest) and mash.
  • Simultaneously prepare your oats as you normally would; I merely add water to mine.
  • Combine the sweet potato, oats, organic vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Mix until thoroughly blended; if your sweet potato is cooked well, this will be surprisingly easy.
  • Add a dash of almond milk if the mixture is a little dry.
  • Microwave and voila!
For an improvised recipe, it tastes bloody good, and almost makes me forget about my Rudolph-esque nose and blocked sinuses.



-
Sian

1 comment: