Friday, February 15, 2013

Review: Quest Bars


I'm going to be honest: I'm very circumspect when it comes to "healthy bars". The label "healthy" is strewn across items that, in fact, are as criminally calorific as something deep-fried or from McDonalds. Prime example: caesar salad. People see the word "salad" and pounce on it, purely because of that word. Unfortunately, what they don't realize is the repercussions of the croutons, that dressing, and all the other little frills and thrills that are hidden amongst the leaves.
Now, I'm not saying you should convert to Calorie Nazism (please don't - it's torture), but rather, be wary of what you're eating and, if possible, make healthier substitutions.

The misconception about caesar salads and items generally perceived to be "healthy" has left me petrified about the idea of eating healthy bars, such as Nakd, Clif, and, the most raved-about, Quest. How healthy can a bar be if it's loaded with nasty little chemicals, sweeteners, and words that I can't even pronounce? How can eating something that emulates the taste of an apple pie possibly help fuel me for exercise and, more importantly, contain protein?
These questions are vital (for me, anyway) before trying anything alien.

So, after months and months of researching, reading reviews, and salivating at the mouth at the mere though of one passing my lips, I finally gave Quest the green light. Let's break it down, shall we?
Quest Nutrition prides itself on being the only protein bar on the market with 20g of "high quality, bioavailable proteins", low non-fiber carbs (eg. sugars), uses natural ingredients (one ingredient that you may never have heard of is isomalto-Oligosaccharides, which are "100% natural, prebiotic fibres derived from plant sources") and are gluten-free, for all you Coeliacs out there.
They range from between 160-210 calories, which is very agreeable.
They are available in 14 flavours:
  • Chocolate Brownie 
  • Vanilla Almond Crunch
  • Peanut Butter Supreme
  • Apple Pie
  • Mixed Berry Bliss
  • PB & J
  • Banana Nut Muffin
  • Chocolate Peanut Butter
  • Cinnamon Roll
  • Coconut Cashew
  • Strawberry Cheesecake
  • Lemon Cream Pie
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
  • Peanut Butter Cups (yes, healthy version of Reese's)
Each box comes with 12 bars in total. I bought mine in UN Sports Nutrition (the only place I can find in Dublin that stocks them), half Coconut Cashew and half Vanilla Almond Crunch. I defy you to find a bar that tastes so sinful, yet with such amazing nutritional value. I had to keep checking the wrapper to ensure that I wasn't making a mortal mistake, and ruining my hard work. 
They are quite tough in texture, the VAC more so; I'd recommend heating them up in the microwave for a couple of seconds to soften them, and ensure you don't loose a tooth. That is, in my humble opinion, the sole flaw of the taste of Quest bars. They satisfy, but don't satiate - the perfect snack for before or after a workout. There's nothing worse than feeling sluggish before a trip to the gym; you want to feel energised but without the uncomfortable feeling of being full. 

The only negative aspect of Quest bars is their price: it is a teensy bit on the expensive side. A box of 12 costs €24.99. But then again, the price is justifiable, as you are paying for quality. Search high and low (go on, I implore you), and you will not find a bar of this standard.


Overall, I believe this bars are well worth the investment, particularly for those of you who are very active. The perfect snack for in between workouts.
Visit Quest's website if you have any other qualms/queries, or if I've left anything out.
-
Sian

No comments:

Post a Comment