Thursday, February 21, 2013

RECIPE: Protein Pancakes À La Sian


Exposure to American culture as a young child can have a very powerful influence on a person. In particular: American cuisine. As a child growing up in Ireland, it's little wonder that towering, diner-esque sundaes (complete with cherry on top), bowls brimming with the fluoro-coloured marshmallow and toasted-oat combo of Lucky Charms - I was still too young to acknowledge the irritating Irish stereotype - and the like, enticed me more than the standard shpuds I was reared on. But it was always the typical, fluffy-as-clouds American pancakes that charmed me most of all.

The source of envy...

Irish pancakes are just not like that. Is it because of our European identity that the Irish are mad for the crêpes, as opposed to their fluffier counterparts? Of course, you could buy packaged versions but they were disappointing to say the least; the taste and texture not nearly as magical as you'd expect. I'd watch that scene in Matilda, relentlessly, where, despite being three years old, she whips up an immaculate batch of pancakes. Needless to say I'd be sickened with the envy - or was it just hunger?
My first excursion to America as a 5 year old was like receiving a golden ticket to Wonka's chocolate factory. My entire time there was spent with eyes, bulging like saucers; it was an entirely different world to the one that I knew. And that was when I met iHop and had my first, and only, legit American pancakes. I was besotted.

Now, my health snobbery would make me turn my nose up at the prospect of ever entering an iHop, let alone devouring a bowl of Lucky Charms, as my 5-year-old self would have liked. But that doesn't stop the longing. Isn't that just the way with things? If it looks good, or lures you in with how good it looks - it couldn't possibly be healthy. But life's too short to deprive yourself, as I've grown to learn. There's an alternative to everything.

Now, my health snobbery would make me turn my nose up at the prospect of ever entering an iHop, let alone devouring a bowl of Lucky Charms, as my 5-year-old self would have liked. But that doesn't stop the longing. Isn't that just the way with things? If it looks good, or lures you in with how good it looks - it couldn't possibly be healthy. But life's too short to deprive yourself, as I've grown to learn. There's an alternative to everything.


It all started with the über-easy banana pancakes by Casey Ho, of Blogilates; it's only one banana and two eggs, mashed together, and poured into a pan. They did for a while, but I needed something more substantial. They resembled the crêpe, that I abhor so much. They were good, but not right.  These are better suited before a run in the morning, but would leave your stomach growling ferociously after a trip to the gym.

So, after much experimentation,  and trial and (plenty of) error, I finally devised the perfect recipe, if I may be so bold. There's a longer ingredient list for these, but they are most definitely worth that extra bit of prep. 
Behold, my recipe for chocolate protein pancakes:

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/2 cup of multi seed oats.
  • 1 scoop of chocolate whey - I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey.
  • 1 tbsp of organic coconut flour.
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder.
  • 1 tsp cinnamon.
  • 2 egg whites.
  • 1 tbsp of organic low fat natural yoghurt.
  • A drop of organic vanilla extract.
  • 1/4 cup of almond milk.
DIRECTIONS:
  • Combine dry and wet ingredients into a bowl; mix thoroughly.
  • Scoop 1-2 tbsps onto non-stick frying pan for 2-3 minutes on med-low heat.
  • Flip, and cook for additional 1 minute.
They should turn out decadently fluffy and, of course, delicious without the guilt. They're fine if left in the fridge overnight, too. Put some cling film over the bowl with the "batter" and put in the fridge. If the mixture is slightly thick (it usually will be), add a little bit of water or almond milk to soften it up.

Dat fluffiness

-
Sian

No comments:

Post a Comment