Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Salutations

How do you compose an introductory blog post? For someone as viciously socially inept as myself, it should be a relief that I'm not presenting myself and my innermost thoughts to a group of people in real life. However, this is not the case.
It's almost as daunting trying to inaugurate an audience of people I don't know to something I can't predict. I know where I want to steer this vehicle, but am uncertain of the direction it will take, how it will look in a few months time (because believe me, that God-awful layout will be worked on), and the reception it will receive. All will determine this blog's fate.

Oh, well done, Sian, starting this off on a sombre tone - how typically miserable of you. And yes, while we're making awkward acquaintances with each other (is "How do you do?" accompanied by a dainty hand shake too formal?), it may be useful to inform you that I often stage conversations between myself and myself in my head. This manages to manifest itself into my writing, too.

So, aside from inevitable madness, what is it you can expect? This blog, without regurgitating my life's story so far, shall be a mere platform to document my escape from the clutches of Anorexia, my quest for fitness, happiness and health, whilst indulging in my greatest passion - writing. There's only so much you can write on an Instagram caption, but restriction is not the option for me anymore; writing is like a wild animal - keeping it in captivity extinguishes it. It needs to be allowed room to soar, develop and prosper.

Not a day goes by, since I've embarked on this journey, that I don't acknowledge the positive contrast in my life since abandoning the dictatorial rule of an eating disorder. With much confidence, I can say that it is the best decision I have ever made in my life. It's wonderful to be able to feel emotion, as opposed to being held prisoner behind a lens of bleak, grey despair; to be able to wake up each morning, excited to be part of the earth and to have life coursing through your veins. I only hope that I can use my experiences to prove to those who suffer, to an ineffable degree, that life without an eating disorder is exactly what being oppressed by one is not - LIFE.

And once again, I thank my lucky stars that I'm not stood vis-à-vis with some stranger, introducing myself and all of this. I can only think of the amount of stutters and "Em"s that would have punctuated my speech. I'm no public speaker, and I'm not exactly well-supplied in the confidence department; writing is my element, and I hope that I have managed to make you feel welcome, in a distinctively awkward way that only I can.
-
Sian.

4 comments:

  1. Your introductory blog post is genuine and honest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Malin, I enjoy your writing style and honesty, thank you. I'm looking forward to more posts- your dishes look delicious. I think I love you already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much! I'm honoured, to say the least; I only hope I can live up to your expectations :-)

      Delete